3 Divisions of revelation:
Rev of Jesus Christ, (vision of Glorified Lord, He who was) [was], Churches, [is] Tribulation. [is to come]
A-millenialism – does not exist, allegorical
Reasons we hold to Pre-Tribulation (church raptured):
1. Church mentioned 20 times. Never mentioned again prophetically (1 Thess 4:13-18)
2. Fullness of revelation of Church, given to Paul
3. The things which thou hast seen, things which are, and things which shall come to pass. They do not happen concurrently, there is a close to each. Thus a church being one is closed, done and sealed up. Compare spiritual things, scripture with scripture. Only compare things that are alike.
4. Note the timing, after this (v1).
5. Picture changes, from Lord in the middle of the candlesticks,to the Throne of God
6. 24 elders around the throne till Chapter 19
7. Two great verses: 1 Thess 5:9, 1 Thess 1:5-10
8. The type of the picture here, the casting of the crowns before the Lord
9. John is also a picture of the church, he went up in the Spirit.
– come up hither, to meet the Lord in the air
– events that happen hereafter (1Cor 15:51-53)
10. Matthew 25:2-13 – virgins
V2. Throne – many thrones, but only one Eternal throne
V3. Stones represent Gods glory and majesty.
These stones mentioned in Exo 28:17-20, on the breastplate of the High priest
The brilliance of Jasper represents the pure holiness of God. (rev 21:11) – tribe of Benjamin (first)
The red Sardus, symbolizes the blood atonement demanded for sin
– tribe of Reuben (last)
– speaks to God working with Israel and the Church.
First his holiness is seen by Israel
Second the blood atonement by Church
Emerald represents Judah, was green and spoke eternal endurance.
This was the wedding stone.
The Circle around the throne was complete, indication of the completeness of God in the trinity, but also his absolute sovereignty. Strongest shape being a circle. Wheels on our cars.
Note the color of the rainbow, green. It is the color most pleasant to the eye.
Vs. 4 24 elders are royal priesthood of believers
Lion – majesty and power, king of all the beasts (gen 49:9)
Calf or ox – humility and patience (1 cor 9:9-10)
Man – Gods creation, highest on earth, denoting wisdom, reason and intelligence (Isaiah 1:18, 1 cor 2:11)
Eagle – wisest of all birds (Job 39:27-30)
They have one ministry unlike 24 elders, they praise God.